Thursday, July 16, 2009

Week 5: Raw Talent Class

As I mentioned here, I've been taking a photography class online that's moving full speed ahead. The problem is, I keep bouncing back and forth between actually being on this train that's barreling down the tracks and standing in the middle of the tracks watching it speed away from me! It's in the next county right now, make it the next state, or even several states away! Needless to say, it's been a tough week of learning!

Our assignment was to take pictures:

  • Using the rule of thirds
  • Depth of Field with a story behind it
  • Natural Framing
  • Leading Lines
  • Panning a moving subject
  • Slow shutter speed with a still subject and things going on around it
Ummmmm...yup. My thoughts exactly!

The rules: Manual mode and no post processing.

I cheated and cropped...but that's it for these!

I've chosen a few of my favorites that I turned in.

And after a tad over 3 hours and roughly 600 pictures later, here's what I got...
Using the rule of thirds

(my sweet baby girl and precious (very patient) husband!)
50mm 1.4, ISO 400, f/3.2, 1/800

Depth of Field with a story behind it

(the story...she was ticked that we wouldn't let her get in that pool. she was actually semi-crying)
50mm 1.4, ISO 200, f/2.2, 1/200
(overexposed a tad though, I think)

Leading Lines

(click to see bigger)
50mm 1.4, ISO 100, f/2.5, 1/1250

I opted not to include my other shots; they are more debatable as to whether they apply or not. I am so thankful for my sweet, patient husband, mother, and baby girl as well as our sweet friends, the Castros (post to come!) for being my subjects!

This next week: lighting...the one thing I said I wanted to learn when I started this class. Well...besides capturing perfect shots of my baby girl. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Lori Mercer July 17, 2009 at 6:34 AM  

These are looking GREAT Anna!! :)

Anonymous July 17, 2009 at 11:20 AM  

Anna...I always love your photographs; my goodness how big she looks her striding with purpose! Margaret

DiAnna July 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

woo hoo! Way to go, girl!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(picture courtesy of DiAnna Paulk)
This is my creative outlet. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I currently shoot with a Canon 5D and primarily a 28-75mm 2.8 lens or a 50mm 1.4 lens. I love landscapes, flowers, and architecture; but my ultimate goal is to be able to take great pictures of my little girls. I want to capture the expressions, the quickly fleeting moments, and document the blessings of our amazing God! His mercies are new every morning...

...these are a few of my favorite things.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP